General

Using a Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Deluxe on Windows Server 2003

I recently had a need to do video conferencing on my work laptop. That machine is running Windows Server 2003. (Yeah I know, that’s odd for a laptop, but I need it for work.) The webcam that I have is a Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Deluxe.

The problem is that Logitech doesn’t offer Windows Server 2003 operating system drivers for the QuickCam for Notebooks Deluxe. They offer drivers for Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows XP x64, and Windows 2000. I know that the standard Windows XP drivers will frequently work on Windows Server 2003, so I tried that one first. Near the end of the install it gave me an error stating that it couldn’t find c:\Program Files\Logitech\QuickCamWebInstall\Drivers\Bin\winxp64.lst. I didn’t know where I could find this file either.

Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks DeluxeSo, when the standard Windows XP driver wouldn’t work, I unistalled it and tried again. It still didn’t work. I then uninstalled it and installed the Windows 2000 driver. It didn’t work either. Finally, I decided to try the Windows XP x64 driver, even though I’m running a 32-bit version of Windows Server 2003. In the middle of the install it told me that this version of the driver wasn’t compatable with my version of Windows. Fortunately, it left all the files in place that it had unpackaged. This included the winxp64.lst file that I was missing before. I then re-installed the Windows XP driver. It worked!

I know that few, if any, of my readers will ever experience this same scenario, but I wanted to post this out here so that people that might be looking for a solution could find what worked for me and try it for themselves. Good luck, and post a comment if you do find this post helpful.

Related Posts

10 Comments

Nick Jones
    2/23/2007 at 12:08 am

thanks Ricky, this is the first article I’ve come across that directly replicates my similarly “odd for work reasons” laptop setup. After several reinstalls of the XP driver for the QuickCam Ultra Vision I was really beginning to bang my head for not being more careful and checking the user forums before jumping into the purchase – it just looked so good, and logitech have such a good reputation – I should have known better!

oh well..

Now, I’m into downloading the x64 driver, which has suddenly started to fire along nicely. Lets see… ok, so it almost installed and then gave me the not the right platform message.. good so far.. now for the x32 version.. yep, thats gone thru fine.. excellent, never been this far before! ok, now for some tests…

hmm, the logitech QuickCam software doesnt run.. thats a bad first sign. Jumping into the Logitech\QuickCamWebInstall\techsupt folder provides a Capture Test utility that proves the camera is working, albeit with a pretty bad refresh rate giving light and dark banding on the preview image – again, not a good sign

tried to run a Java based video conf software that my 6 – 8 year old Kodak DVC323 has been working through without issues, and nope, fatal exception thrown.. hmm, perhaps that x64 driver isn’t the right one after all..

well, thanks Ricky, almost got there, but looks like I’ll need to keep looking. Thanks alot tho for the post, its the closest thing I’ve found. If only Logitech were this helpful!

cheers
    Nick

Greg
    3/28/2007 at 3:57 pm

You have solved my dilemma on two separate occasions. Worked perfectly. I beleive that Nick (last comment) did not follow your instructions (in fact it is clear that he did not, (with respect) by his statement that the x64 software driver was not the magic bullet. He seems to have missed that one has to reinstall the XP version after installing the 64 version.

One litte wrinkle that I found was; – I had to open up the device manager, pick the non working USB device and then choose reinstall driver. and not allow it to do it automatically, but rather choose the driver location and pick the xp 32 driver.

On my PC there were two apparently identical xp32 drivers but one did not work, so I went back a second time, repeated this process, then chose the other one. Voila, WINDOWS SERVER 2003 found the Camera and it all works.

Had you not suggested the x64 driver, I never would have tried it!

Good job and thank you for being so selfless to share your findings. For every one of us that writes something, I am sure there are 100 people that have solved their problem thanks to you and just never got around to posting here.

Respectfully, Greg

Others that find this post… It works, just follow Ricky’s advice and use a little persistence if at fisrt you do not succeeed!

Greg

Sam
    4/3/2007 at 3:24 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Works like a charm.

Jack
    11/15/2007 at 5:07 pm

Can you tell me how you managed to do it? I have the same problem as Nick. I’m using QuickCam Ultra Vision and this is what I did.

1. Download both xp32 and xp64 driver from the logitech site.
    2. Installed xp64 one first. Got and error.
    3. Installed xp32 one and everything went through. The installation detected the camera and installed the driver, but USB Video Device seems to have driver issue.

I tried using the camera and the software kept saying that I need to reconnect the camera or driver is not working properly. I tried it with Skype and Skype cannot detect the camera.

Please help!
    Jack

rickyspears
    11/17/2007 at 3:36 pm

Jack – Sorry, but I can’t be of any more help besides the instructions that I have supplied here. I no longer run Server 2003 on that laptop. You can always try uninstalling everything and re-installing and seeing if works the second time. Good luck!

rickyspears
    11/20/2007 at 9:29 am

Jack in the 4th comment above emailed me with the following information:
    ——————-
    I found a way that would work for sure for any logitech webcam. Here are the steps just in case you are interested:

1. Download the latest Windows XP driver from logitech site. Download x32 or x64 depending on which version of Server 2003 you are using.
    2. Unpackage the .exe file
    3. Copy all the files under subfolder under Drivers into one folder
    4. Update driver of the USB device and point it to that folder

This seems to be working every time and without having to use your workaround of installing x64 one first. Anyway, for me, I only had to install x64 one since I’m using the x64 version.

Thanks,
    Jack
    ———————

David
    8/22/2008 at 9:22 am

Ricky thanks for posting a solution to this. I almost gave up but read that it could be done and with a little fanagaling (great word) I got it to work. Thanks again for posting.

rickyspears
    8/23/2008 at 4:45 am

David – I’m glad that worked for you! Thanks for letting me know!

Marc
    5/12/2010 at 4:53 am

Thanks a lot Ricky, I would have never thought of that! I wasted way too many hours of my life on this…

Tyler
    1/17/2011 at 3:29 am

Putting all the drivers into one folder finally did the trick for me. I am so happy to have found help getting drivers for an 8 year old camera to work on an 8 year old version of win server. Thanks for posting this!