General TiddlyWiki

Microsoft Word Booklet Templates

It”s no secret that I don’t care much for paper. If I can do something electronically instead of with paper, I usually choose pixels over pulp. When I started developing our Intranet at my full-time job, we had a contest between the employees to determine the name for it. My suggestion was to call it Paper Sucks. It didn’t get very many votes. :-(

At the same time, however, I realize that there are times when paper is just more efficient. For example, I seem to be more productive when I work from a printed next actions list than when I work from one on my monitor or my Palm.

When I absolutely have to have something on paper, I usually prefer it to be digest sized (8-1/2″ X 5-1/2″). (I don’t have a good reason for this, I just prefer that size.)

Many years ago (May 6th-8th, 1999) to be exact, I developed 16 Word templates that would print digest sized booklets for me. Over the years, I”ve used these countless times. I’ve shared them with friends and co-workers, but I’ve never thought about publishing them. I had to use one this past weekend and thought that I might as well share them with the world. With most printer drivers these days offering 2-up printing you may not find them as useful as I did 6 years ago. I still find that they are quite handy to have around.

The file contains Microsoft Word templates for 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, and 32 page booklets, with and without page numbers (16 templates in all). I think I developed these with Microsoft Word 97 and I’ve never made any changes to them. They use a series of text boxes that flow from one to the other to get the text where it is supposed to be in the booklet.

To use them, simply start a new document based on the template of choice and start typing (or paste your text) into the text box on the right hand side of the first page. The text will flow to fill all the other pages as needed. To understand this better, you may find it useful to start with one of the templates with page numbers. If you shrink the page size down so that you can view all the pages, it may appear that your text is all over the place. Don’t panic! That’s normal, and there is a reason for it.

Make sure your printer has 8-1/2″ X 11″ paper in it. If your printer does duplexing, simply print your document. If your printer doesn’t offer duplexing, then it will be a simple 3-step process for you: 1) Print out all the odd numbered pages; 2) When they are done, reverse the sort order of the pages [This may vary by printer model and settings]; 3) Print out all the even numbered pages on the back of the odd numbered pages. Once all your pages have printed, simply fold them in half. The pages will be set up so that they will form a properly numbered series of pages from beginning to end.

Once the pages are printed, I use a long reach stapler to bind them together. (I omit this step on the 4-page booklet because it’s only one piece of paper, of course.)

Oh, they seem to work in too! Enjoy!

Update (Nov. 3, 2006): So many people have asked me to create custom size templates for them that I have decided to start offering this service. The standard templates that are linked to above will remain free, but for $49 I will create custom size templates for you in all 16 variations: 4-, 8-, 12-, 16-, 20-, 24-, 28-, and 32-page booklets with and without page numbers. I will need to get some information from you about your specific requirements within the available options. Email me at if you are interested in purchasing custom Microsoft Word Booklet Templates.

Related Posts

9/2/2009 at 10:50 pm

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I’ve spent untold hours trying to understand the video provided by Microsoft and then
    trying to figure it out by myself using what I thought I’d learned. Obviously I
    didn’t get it!!! The last time I tried to create a booklet the pages were
    consecutive and our local printer had to figure out how to get it in order–which was frustrating for her and expensive for me. What a relief! Thanks again.

9/13/2009 at 2:53 pm

Is there a way to add photos or graphics to the booklet template and be able to move the photos around? I can’t seem to format graphics, just add them to the top or bottom of the page. Any suggestions?

9/14/2009 at 11:04 am

As a followup to Alice’s question, I figured out how to manipulate the cursor to move the photos around, BUT is there any way they can be moved to the left or right margin? Right now all of the photos are in the middle and they take up valuable text space that way.

Maura Arcos
    9/21/2009 at 10:57 am

I have just used your templates to set up yet another booklet, and once again I am amazed at how fast and easy they are to use.

It is very generous of you to continue to offer such a helpful tool for free.

Maura Arcos

10/14/2009 at 6:01 pm

Thanks so much! It’s not the printer duplexing that kills me, it’s the getting it right in Word.
    I’m really grateful.

11/1/2009 at 9:20 am

I am trying add a header to the template. Can you tell me how this can be done. Thanks.

11/4/2009 at 11:23 am

Ggene – You’ll probably need to add text boxes where you want your header to be on each page and manually edit what is in each one. You can see how this is done by looking at the templates with page numbers at the bottom. That’s not a true footer, just a separate text box at the bottom of each page. Good luck!

11/21/2009 at 11:31 am

So let me understand a previous question and answer. I want to print a 5.5 X 8.5 booklet. Which is your design landscaped.
    Using your design I will have to adjust each cell to create my 5.5 X 8.5 booklet.

11/21/2009 at 1:06 pm

Monique – You didn’t indicate which response concerns you. These templates assume you are creating a 8-1/2″ x 5-1/2″ booklet, so you likely won’t need to make any adjustments. Try it and see if it works for you.

Bill Baute
    12/30/2009 at 3:45 pm

Great scot, what a marvelous contribution to productivity! Your generosity is marvelous, Ricky!

I need a little help. Have done a 20 page booklet on our church. Started with 12, went to 16 and now 20. Easily copied and pasted my work from one to the other all at one time.

Problem is with the left margin. I’m using Open Office 3.0. The template gives me a 1 1/2″ margin on the left and nothing on the right. How might I adjust the boxes to the appropriate spot? Searched your blog for an answer, so forgive me if you have already addressed this.

Bill Baute
    12/30/2009 at 3:53 pm

OK, I think I have it. Adjusted the margins at the top, just as one would for any other document. Printing it and it looks great!

Sorry for being an ignoramus.

3/2/2010 at 10:37 pm

Thank you so much! Very helpful!

Kate Gordon
    3/5/2010 at 9:28 am

Thank you so much for these. I’m doing a Member’s directory for my Church and last one was a nightmare – much easier now!
    Very much appreciated.

peter whelan
    4/19/2010 at 5:42 am

Thank you for the nice templates!

8/4/2010 at 9:22 am

well doene

12/1/2010 at 12:11 am

I have been making some books for kids in Haiti. I love the templates. There is an error on the 28 page booklet though. Instead of 3 it reads 23. You may want to fix that.
    Jeanette of Haiti Reads :)

12/1/2010 at 11:10 pm

You are a lifesaver! I emailed your site to all of my classmates:)

1/28/2011 at 1:44 pm

Thanks but wasn’t what it was looking for, can you do this for publisher please as i am more familar with it!

5/17/2011 at 10:24 pm

WOW! This is great, thanks so much just what I needed, I thought my brain was going to implode trying to figure out which was on which page….

Lucy xx
    10/28/2011 at 11:23 am

Thnx soo much. Needed to make a booklet for homework and ended up looking all over the internet. You are a lifesaver. Once again, THNX =]

Mary Sweeney
    11/6/2011 at 6:30 am

I looked for you on Facebook as I wanted to tell you that I posted on my Facebook page about your wonderful booklet templates. I just used them once again to make a booklet for a funeral service. Amazing! Thank you once again!

11/6/2011 at 5:57 pm

Mary – Thanks so much for sharing with your friends! You can find me on Facebook at

12/14/2011 at 12:34 pm

This really helped! Thanks a lot!.

3/10/2012 at 8:06 pm

Thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!!!!

4/10/2012 at 11:28 am

Just have to say how happy I am to have found this site. Each year at this time, we create booklets for our incoming K students and this site has been an immense help in that task. You make me look so good!!! Thanks!

8/11/2012 at 12:20 pm

Thank you very much. It gave me to check exact page and looks of mu new book.

Thanks Again

8/30/2012 at 2:05 pm

Oh man, thank you so much. You’ve just saved my life.

11/27/2012 at 10:01 pm

TKS a million times Ricky. Just what I needed. So generous of you. I will put your reference on last page of the booklet.

Ross R.
    1/2/2013 at 12:58 am

Oh my god, thank you times a million! I just put together a 32 page poetry chapbook, and then used the 4 page template to make a cover w/the table of contents on the inside! It’s really awesome :)

5/17/2013 at 6:44 pm

Thank you so much. My daughter’s fourth grade class is writing original stories and this will templates and sharing.

7/27/2013 at 11:06 am

You won’t believe the hours I spent(and the paper !) trying to construct a simple, 8 pg booklet. Then I found your site. What’s wrong with Microsoft that they can’t provide clear, succinct instructions anywhere ! Thanks so much. I would have paid for the template.

6/11/2014 at 12:52 am

Thank you sooo much, You have saved me hours of work

• 1 2 3